Dear visitors:

Please feel free to write comments~~ I hope you enjoy my blog!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

3 Michael Jackson drawings

I have been a BIG fan of Michael Jackson for two years. I was always thrilled by his music when I saw his music videos on TV, but I really started to know him and love him after his death.

Every Michael Jackson's song is my favorite song for a period of time; my MP3 is full of Michael's songs and his songs ONLY; I often lock myself in the room and dance to his songs like I'm crazy although I cannot dance at all; I can put the word "Michael Jackson" into every sentence I make in English vocab quizes; even my clothing style is strongly influenced by him and I love military coats.

Yes, I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Jackson; yet I admire him for other reasons too.

" What one wishes is to be touched by truth and to be able to interpret that truth so that one may use what one is feeling and experiencing, be it despair or joy, in a way that will add meaning to one's life and will hopefully touch others as well. This is art in its highest form. Those moments of enlightenment are what I continue to life for."                                                                                        --------- Michael Jackson

I found Michael's understanding of art extremely inspiring. Art is the direct expression of human divinity and instinct. I have those "moments of enlightenment" in my life when I feels like I'm "touched by truth". This is when you feel like your mind is completely empty but you know exactly what you are doing. Schoolwork is always stressful, especially in junior year. But I find peace in the Sculpture Studio and I am able to relax myself and concentrate only on art for 45 minutes every day. To me, feeling the coolness of clay in my hands and listening to the gentle sound when the pencil flows on the paper are the most relaxing things in the busy world.

I also agree with Michael on the point that the art will "hopefully touch others as well" because I believe the art must come from your personal understanding of the society and go back to the society to inspire more people.
In an interview on his 50th birthday, Michael said that he was always creating and pioneering, he never satisfied. Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, commented on Michael Jackson, "he was driven by his hunger to learn. He studied the greats and became greater." The idea of pioneering and creating new things enthralls me and always reminds me to take a step furthur, to take things to another level.
Last summer I created 3 drawings of Michael Jackson using 3 different method, sketching, watercolor, and painting. After Learning sketching for many years, I started to understand creativity and took the 3D structure as the foundation of my art work to creat new art forms.

I did this sketch in great details to try to realize his motion and great energy.

I used watercolor in this drawing and spent most of time on the silky hair.

I used very strong color in this painting to represent his passion and ambition. Instead of using gradual transition of shadow, I used a very wild way to paint the shadow on his face. This method is called "the contour drawing". If you step back, you would see the colors melt together harmoniously.

1 comment:

  1. From Ms. Peacock:
    OMG Fay, the pictures are simply beautiful. You’ll have to help me to write in your blog, because I am technologically illiterate. I had both a Twitter account and Google account, but I’ve forgotten the passwords. You are amazing. I hope you will donate a picture to my office that I can have framed and displayed. I also want it signed so that when you become famous, I’ll have an original “Fay”
    Ms. P

    ReplyDelete