Dear visitors:

Please feel free to write comments~~ I hope you enjoy my blog!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sculpture Project: The Media Head

This head sculpture is my sculpture project from last semester. Having already made two snow sculptures ( the Sphinx and Michael Jackson), I made this one out of clay and newspaper.

The theme of this Media Head is the media invasion of human's mind. Nowadays, the media playes a bigger and bigger role in people's daily life; the media is often related to the materialism and mind control. The pale face without any facial expression represents the lack of free thinking; the explosion on one side of the head and the newspaper that comes out represent the invasion of media in people's mind. This head is a sexless figure because the mind control applies to everyone in our society.

My understanding of art is that art must address to a certain problem in the society and bring people's awareness of that problem. Our last summer reading was a book called Feed. It is a story about a group of teenagers controlled by the Feed, which is a remote mind control chip that is installed in their brains. This story touched me and I decided to embody the theme of media control into my sculpture.

Although I have made two snow sculpture of human figure before, this is my first time truly examing the 3D structure of a human head. It was very challenging carving the eyes, lips and ears. I was glad that the head turned out OK. Now I'm working on another head sculpture called Behind the Mask, and I feel a lot better because now I can feel how the facial muscles move instead of merely carving out the basic elements of a head.

An anecdote about this head: when we displayed this Media Head in the hallway, one of the student's Mom wanted to buy it. The deal was not made at last, but I think the most important thing is not that I can sell my sculpture to earn money, but my experience of making sculptures and consistently challenging myself!




No comments:

Post a Comment