Dear visitors:

Please feel free to write comments~~ I hope you enjoy my blog!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Streams of Thoughts 2: Grass Root Art and Human Divinity

Right now I'm working on a bench design project in the Clark Park, Detroit, and our group took a tour to the Clark Park last weekend. On our way back, the teacher stopped by three benches that he has done before to show us as examples. The three beautiful banches are made of mosaic and they represent the race diversity and the natural resources in Detroit. The things that caught my attention were not the benches shining in the sunlight, but those two people with "shabby" clothes sitting on the benches. Behind the benches was a huge, brand-new-looking painting of Detroit skyline on one side of a building, and the teacher told us that the painting was done by a group of students 25 years ago and has never been attacked by anyone since then. I turned around and looked at the neighborhood. To be honest, it was a very depressing scene to look at. All these old houses and streets showed the prosperity of Detroit decades ago.

However, I truly admire those nieghbors who have been respecting and protecting the painting for 25 years; and I was deeply inspired. Last Spring Break, I watched a lot of videos about the human origin and how human beings have gradually lost their divinity because of the erosion of the materialis. Ralph Waldo Emerson also believed that human beings have this instictive divinity and direct connection with God. In order to awake humans' inner divinity, the video suggests, we have to raise the "collective consciousness", which means a moral attitude shared by everyone in a society, to a higher level to achieve the divinity again.

Art is the most direct expression of the human divinity. When you are doing art, you don't think, you don't calculate, and you just let the invisible hand rule you. It does not mean that you are not using your mind when you are creating art; instead, you shut down the side of brain which controls all your daily behavior, all your calculation, all your anxiety, and fully open up the other side of the brain to connect to some higher spiritual level. It is the same principle as Buddhist monks are sitting in meditation. There are those rare moments when you put down all the anxiety, dissatisfaction, calculation and greed in the material world, and reach out to touch the divinity. And I believe, not only artists, but EVERYONE needs moments like that. Everyone IS ABLE TO have moments like that.

We have buried the divinity for so long, and it is time to wake up and make a difference. The neighborhood in Detroit may be depressing, the houses may be old and the people may be poor, but inside the shell of the old automobile city, I can see a shining core of human divinity because these people respect the art works and they try so hard to preserve them.

I was often wondering, what is the point to build those benches? We are not famous artists, we are just a bunch of high school students; the park won't be much better if we install several benches there. But now I understand, the benches WILL make a difference. Yes, we are grass root artists and the people in the neighborhood are grass roots. But EVERY GRASS COUNTS! The appreciation of art works and the awaking of human divinity should and will start with grass roots. If everyone of us just do a little bit, a painting on the wall can be preserved for 25 years; if everyone of us just do a little bit, Detroit art will shine its light upon the deserted buildings; if everyone of us just do a little bit, we human beings will wake up from the glossy dream of materialism and reach the pure core of human divinity.

I participated in the Wire Car project before the Spring Break and now I will devote my best to the Clark Park bench project. I feel so motivated now because although my work is grass rook, I believe together we can make a difference.

4 comments:

  1. From Mr. Briggeman:
    Hi Fay -
    I took a look at our blog. I thoroughly enjoyed the upbeat energy and zest for life that I found there in your words. My favorite drawing was of the elderly man who looked so patient in his weariness. I have to say I was much less enthusiastic about the large-eyed cartoonish figures - as they remind me of styles of Japanese (?) cartoon (Anime? Pokimon? manga?) that I've never found very interesting. But for me the main thing was that your creativity is being so wonderfully encouraged in your sculpture class and your excitement about that is so genuine. So keep exploring and imagining!
    Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Dr. Dostert:

    Hi Fay,

    I'm impressed! You've done a great job with your blog--it's a wonderful way to showcase your artistic productions and your thoughts on them. You had a nice touch with your ideas on Emerson, someone I haven't read in years. You make me want to go back and re-read his essays!!

    I'm glad to see you found another outlet for your vision and ambition. Thanks for letting me know about it!

    Dr. D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Ms. Young:
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. As the mother of artists, I understand your point about the divine. I have long been attracted to the idea of “grass roots” both as method of human rights activism and as evidence of our central humanity. There is a point of connection, a place of commonality where we all recognize what is right, what is truth, and what will save us from ourselves. I tend to think of this revelation as coming from the aesthetic as it touches us in a way nothing else can. I marvel at the creative act in its many forms. That we create, confirms divinity to me. Beauty matters even when juxtaposed with decay or distress. The city has, like the roots of grass, many persistent examples of this divinity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fay, I shared your blog with our partners at the University of Michigan - Professor Checkoway who has guided CK in our community work in Detroit writes, "artists like this are a special resource for what you are trying to
    accomplish - this one is a gift."

    I agree with Ms. Young - the city of Detroit, like human life, holds divinity within it - birth, death, rebirth - hope and despair, genius and degeneration, the glorified and the abandoned...problems vs. all of the possibility..

    Thank you, Fan, for creating with us and sharing your vision of possibility.

    ReplyDelete